Posts Tagged ‘chris carter’
The newest issue of Empire (out tomorrow) has an interview with The X-Files creator Chris Carter. A few choice excerpts have been released and while they don’t really offer us a lot of new information…it’s still X-Files and that means I’m posting it. That’s right! No one can stop me and…oh…I’m fired.
Chris confirms that if the third movie happens they would want it to be a mythology based film rather than a standalone monster of the week. So that means aliens, black oil, and conspiracies…at least…I hope so. The final seasons of the show dealt with super soldiers and the like, not a plot point I’m interested in going back to.
“It’s really up to Twentieth Century Fox, whether they have the will to do it. I think all of us are interested in putting the band back together. I have an idea for a third movie in my head. The colonisation date has passed [in the series, the date for the alien invasion was December 22, 2012 - Ed.] and that is something we wouldn’t ignore. For the second movie, we only had the budget for a standalone story, but we want to go back to the mythology.”
As a huge X-Files fan I would absolutely love to have a third film. All the actors seem to be on board, as does Chris Carter himself. It just seems to be a matter of money and whether Fox will pony up the dough. I did enjoy the second film, The X-Files: I Want to Believe, but I will admit to being somewhat disappointed by it.
Chris did offer up one interesting piece of trivia. Simon Pegg almost had a role in the second film. I can’t imagine where they would have put him.
“Gillian [Anderson] worked with Simon Pegg on a movie [2008's How To Lose Friends And Alienate People] and told me that he was a big fan. We actually thought about putting him in the second movie, but there was no part for him. I certainly would think about him if we were to go forward in any way.”
There may be more information in the Empire interview so we’ll have to check it out!
- A few movies have tweaked release dates, Steven Spielberg’s War Horse will open December 25th, The Adventures of Tintin and Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol will both open in wide release (including IMAX) on Wednesday, Dec. 21. [Deadline 1, 2] UPDATED in our Fall & Holiday Movie Guide 2011.
- X-Files creator Chris Carter is back to TV with mystery drama, I hope this doesn’t mean he’s forgotten an X-Files 2012 movie. [deadline]
- Ben Affleck’s ‘Argo’ gets a release date. [theplaylist]
- Ellen Page joins cast of ‘The East’ [variety]
- More photos from the Avengers. [comingsoon]
- Berenice Marlohe is the new Bond girl. [twitchfilm]